Meekness is a sign of weakness by this world today. We are encouraged to build strength in most areas of our lives. Meekness is a sign of a strong character in the Lord Jesus. When we are meek we can forgive in a way that it becomes second nature to us. When we do this when we would naturally be offended, we are displaying the character of our Lord Jesus.
Mathew 9. verse 18. We see a ruler of the synagogue coming to Jesus and be bowed down to him. That would take some doing, they were very proud and sometimes arrogant. But he had a very real need, one that religion could not do. His daughter had died and he had heard or seen the miracles that Jesus had performed.
So in his meekness he asked Jesus to come and lay hands on her and she would live. When Jesus got to the mans house the funeral songs had already begun. Jesus said to them that the girl had not died she was a sleep. They laughed and derided him and Jesus cast them out of there. Laid hands on the girl and she lived.
This man would have been taken away from his position and thrown out of the synagogue. But he would not have cared, he had seen the power of God at first hand. His daughter was well and he would say to one and all. Come see how some meekness on my part, was a testimony about Jesus.
Sometimes we have to be meek to see and know the power of God. Jesus said in Mathew chapter 11. verses 29-30. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me. For I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your soul.
30. My yoke is easy and my burden is light.
Wise words about meekness, now if that was good enough for Jesus. it should be the same for us. Notice Jesus said in HEART, that is where it all begins. The mind would lead us astray, but when a matter is settled in the heart. now that is meekness.
When Jesus said learn of me, what scriptures was he referring to?
Galatian’s chapter 5 verses 17-24
17 For the flesh sets its desires against the Spirit and the spirit against the flesh. For they are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things you please.
18. But if you are led by the Spirit you are not under the law.
19. Now the deeds of the flesh are evident which are immorality, impurity, sensuality.
20. Idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outburst of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions.
21. Envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these of which I forewarn you. Just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the Kingdom of God.
22. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace and patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness.
23. Gentleness, self control, against such things there is no law.
24. Now those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires
Jesus was referring to the fruits of the Spirit. Which if you look at them they are his character. These are what he wants to learn us, when you look at them they take some doing. That is why the Holy Spirit is called a comforter.